Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do with old fire shirts? Suggestions??

From the Ab account:

New Year's Resolution... Cleaning out a closet or two...

What would the masses suggest I do with all of my old fire shirts, both from incidents as well as from forests and districts I've managed to collect since 1981?

I'm not going to take them to the Salvation Army or similar stores since I don't think it's right to have agency labels on random people.

I guess I could make a quilt, however I don't do quilting. I hate to think of throwing them away, since it's just wasteful.

Oh, and I have enough rags already.

I'm looking forward to the suggestions!

Signed: Not Shirtless
    Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes
    Likes Diffsteer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to do with old fire shirts? Suggestions??

I would suggest paying someone to make them into a quilt/quilts for yourself. They are all unique i'm sure and not something I would want to throw away. Not to mention the memories I'm sure they have with them.

maybe you could donate them to WFF and they could auction them off to firefighters? just a thought.

Maybe some of the people that work on those districts might want them, be the young buck with the district shirt from before he was born etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Much like a quilt, maybe a banner or flag for your garage or office? Would be a "manly" way to show your years of pride and hard work! (that is, if you're a guy!)

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a Boy Scout back in the days just after the earth cooled, I collected patches from everywhere I visited and traded for patches from where I hadn't visited. I also collected agency patches and assorted memorablia from every agency I worked for and mounted them in a shadow box. That way I a box full of memories I see every day in my home office. Stensiled names could be cut from the shirt and similarly posted. That stuff is more important than the shirts themselves and you could easily see the exhibit every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Send them to a third world country for the kids to wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    Send them to a third world country for the kids to wear.
    The way things are going in DC, that could apply in this country soon !!

Happy New Year all.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Great ideas so far. Regarding the third world country donation option, I travel at least twice a year to SE Asia and I could do that, I normally take over clothing from a couple of mountaineering manufacturers so I'm full, but I could do it. Also, the idea of saving each of the unique emblems and mounting them in a shadow box is another good idea, hadn't thought of that... Amazing what you can do when you add a couple minds to the thinking process (current U.S. Congress not included).

Keep the ideas coming, I'm quite sure I'm not the only person in this situation, or at least there will be some to follow in the coming years.

Not Shirtless

Post Thanks / Like

Hey....I stored mine for 20 years! ...Everytime I came across them (stored in my old military duffle bag) I just couldnt bring myself to ditch them.....even though they all seem to have "shrunk" over the years and no longer fit.

Finally I did what someone suggessted, and cut out the emblems and put them in my photo albums of that time in my life. Since I only collected shirts of the various places I worked they provide a delitefull .....delightful?....deli...AHHH you know what I mean... trip down memory lane whenever I take a look at them.

so, my vote is to find a way to keep them.

Later

Pulaski
    .....yup, Im still around...cant believe I remembered my log on password :)

Post Thanks / Like

From JO

New Year's Resolution... Cleaning out a closet or two...

Ab...Quilts...... If you can't do it yourself it runs around $500 for a 50 shirt quilt to have it made. My mom made my first Fire T quilt (King size) from 1980-90 shirts that I used on incidents to sleep in rather than them sticky hot bags. That Quit has probably 35+ shirts per side. I made my second Fire T quilt a little more than two years ago, it's only full size with T's on one side , not as perfect as my moms quilt, but I'm prod of it. I cut the squares, taped 2 squares together and sewed over the tape then added more squares to make a row. After all the rows were made, I taped two rows together and sewed them. I bet it's not how a seamstress does it, or for that matter how anybody has done it before, but it worked. the hardest part came later putting the two large sides together with the batting. That's the part I will probably have someone else do on the next two quilts.

I still have 100+ T's left and plan to make two more quilts (or have them made or finished) for my son and daughter. The quilts are memories to look at. Travel logs from California to Alaska, Alaska to Florida, Florida to Idaho and then back to California and Oh so warm and comfortable a Fire T quilt is.
    Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes
    Likes wffoundation liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sell them on E-bay. I might buy a shirt or two if they are XL.